To be a child means to have to Sport. Instead, the world is full bounce of reasons, to race, to climb, to explore. One, however, has the Power to captivate in addition to adults, even the most active children to the Sofa: screens.
The world health organization (WHO) has now issued for the first time recommendations, how much time should move of the day, small children ages zero to five years – and how much you should spend not more than in front of screens. The organization fills a gap that so far, the only movement existed recommendations for children from the age of five years.
“Early Childhood is a period in which the body and cognition develop rapidly and a time, in the habits of the children and the family life style is open to changes and adjustments,” writes the world health organization (WHO). The aim is to reduce the number of overweight children.
In order to develop the recommendations, evaluated the researchers of scientific studies that had explored the relationship of movement and health of young children. Movement can Climb mean anything from Crawl, run and Jump to the Balance, running, Dancing, Cycling, or jump rope.
In addition to physical activity, the WHO in their recommendations focused also on the exact opposite: enough sleep. This is a prerequisite for good physical, mental and psycho-social development, – stated in the Text. For example, studies show that children who sleep too little, for example, are likely to be overweight.
The recommendations in Detail:
Children under one year should be within 24 hours:
- For at least 30 minutes physically active. Specifically, the WHO writes, parents should repeatedly support the day your kids in various physical activities, especially through interactive Play, the children move on the ground. Children who are not yet mobile should be according to the WHO, over the course of the day while awake for at least 30 minutes on the belly.
- Not a Minute sitting in front of a screen spend. In addition, the experts recommend not to fix the children for more than an hour at a time, such as in baby carriages, chairs or belts to wear. If the children spend time sitting, should consider the supervisor with you at the best a book or tell a story – screens are according to the WHO, in this age of taboo. As a justification, the authors give, in addition to physical benefits, a better mental and social development.
- 14 to 17 hours of sleep (zero to three months), or 12 to 16 hours of sleep (four to eleven months).
Children at the age of one to two years should be within 24 hours:
- A minimum of 180 minutes to be physically active. The types of motion differ, recommends the world health organization. The day should be a special effort for children, besides several times so strong that you run out of breath distributed. As always, More active time is better.
- Up to the age of two years, zero minutes sitting in front of a screen spend, then a maximum of one hour. In this age, the experts recommend that the children are not more fixed than an hour in a chair, or a stroller. Also, children should not sit for long periods of time, such as in the car, at a table or in front of a TV.
For one Year it is recommended to sit in front of a screen, such as to watch Videos, or play Computer, – stated in the recommendations. For two years, the screen time should not exceed per day not an hour, less would be better. Instead, the WHO recommends even at this age, to spend the seat at the end of time with books or stories.
- 11 to 14 hours of sleepincluding NAP. The experts recommend regular sleep and Wake-up times.
Children at the age of three to four years should be within 24 hours:
- A minimum of 180 minutes to be physically active. A minimum of 60 minutes, the children should be distributed over the day with moderate to very strenuous activities spend, the bring you out of breath. As examples of the WHO called a quick Run, Cycling, ball games, Swimming or Dancing. Also here applies: the More active is even better, also, throughout the day, different activities should be combined.
- Not more than one hour per day sitting in front of a screen spend. Here, too, advises the WHO are more likely to Look at books or story-telling as entertainment through television, Computer, or mobile phone. In addition, children at this age should not be fixed as one hour or for a longer period of time sitting.
- 10 to 13 hours of sleep, with the Option of a NAP. The children should, as One – and two-year regular sleep times to adhere to.
Thus, the health of the children benefited the most, should be adhered to, all three points (physical activity, sitting behaviour, and sleep), writes the WHO. The recommendations, therefore, apply equally in countries with a high, medium or low income. In ten years, you should be updated – unless, that is, more recent studies make an earlier Review necessary.
Whether the recommendations can actually implement in daily life, parents need to try for yourself. In particular, small children spend a lot of time in their strollers, high chairs, or seat rockers. Because without this tool, parents may transport their offspring hardly to get from A to B, feed or security know when you leave the child briefly from the eyes. However, the times in a sitting or fixed Position were probably a total of reduce.
For Five – to 17-Year-old, the world health organisation had set up in the past, exercise recommendations. As a prerequisite for a healthy body, larger children should move accordingly per day for at least one hour moderate to strenuous, which may include, in addition to Playing games, and bike also targeted sports. In addition, children should be encourage your body at least three times a week to improve strength and stamina.